Introduction to the Coconut Oil Pulling Method:
Modern naturopathic practitioners are joining with ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners in an understanding of just how powerful a detoxification and healing tool oil pulling really is. Although coconut oil is not the only oil that can be used to oil pull (others include sesame, sunflower and olive), we love its long list of health-promoting properties (for both oil pulling and/or coconut oil ingestion), listed below:
- Antibacterial—stops bacteria that cause gum disease, throat infections, urinary tract infections and ulcers in their tracks
- Anticarcinogenic—keeps dangerous cancer cells from spreading while boosting immunity
- Antifungal—destroys infection-promoting fungus and yeast.
- Anti-inflammatory—suppresses inflammation and repairs tissue.
- Antimicrobial—inactivates harmful microbes and fights infection.
- Antioxidant—protects from free radical damage.
- Antiparasitic—can help rid the body of tapeworms and other parasites.
- Anti-protozoa—kills protozoan infection in the gut.
- Antiviral—helps to kill dangerous viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis and more.
Some positive side effects of oil pulling may include the following:
- Overall strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw
- Plaque prevention
- Prevention of halitosis (bad breath)
- Prevention of cavities and diseases such as gingivitis
- Prevention of lip, mouth and throat dryness
- Possible remedy for jaw soreness and TMJ
- Relief of migraine headache
- Hormone imbalance correction
- Inflammation reduction
- Support of normal kidney function
- Relief from sinus congestion
- Relief from eczema
- Improved vision
- Pain reduction
- Aids in detoxification
- Helps with insomnia
Follow these instructions to perform the oil pulling method:
- Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach (preferably first thing in the morning)
- Use one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil – you may want to start with ½ tablespoon and work your way up to a tablespoon.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth slowly and be sure that the oil reaches all parts of your mouth – do not swallow.
- Swish for five to ten minutes. Try to work up to twenty minutes if you can.
- Spit out all of the oil when you are done and rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush with a natural toothpaste afterwards.
Note: Some people may feel a bit ill during or after oil pulling – this is generally a good sign that your body is removing toxins and should dissipate as you become healthier.
Daily oil pulling with organic coconut oil along with consuming a healthy diet, getting plenty of exercise and sleep will help your body stay sharp and ready to defend the onslaught of toxins you face each day! And your dentist just may be amazed at your next appointment in a few months at how much better your oral health is becoming!
Not only is coconut oil a great oral health and detox tool, its other benefits will amaze you. But unfortunately this tropical treasure has become one of the most falesly villified superfoods that mainstream media has continually bashed. That’s because the mainstream ideas of health and nutrition couldn’t be further from the truth. Here’s why…