You are undoubtedly a conscientious consumer who wants the facts about something so personal as your great health and well -being. You need to be reassured that the money you are spending is well worth the price. You won’t be disappointed by the information you are about to listen to or read. Seed to Seal is simply your assurance that Young Living is doing everything necessary to make your product pure. Seed to seal is the essence of why Young Living oils are superior. There is great satisfaction in buying from a company with integrity. In any industry, integrity is a rare and precious quality that brings peace of mind knowing that you and your family can consume with confidence Young Living essential oils and get the wanted benefits without chemical side effects.
Seed to Seal is all the care that goes into Young Living essential oils to bring you the real deal.
QUALITY AT Young Living = VALUE TO YOU
Our famous and most popular Premium Starter Kit is the perfect place to get started. When you purchase it you are allowed to become a member of YL and buy at wholesale prices, kind of like becoming a member of Costco. But before you buy I know you will want all the information about quality which is why you are on this page in the first place.
You are going to hear or you can read about some amazing information regarding the production of pure essential oils.
Nowhere in all food industries is there more fraud and adulteration than in the essential oil industry. You are merely guessing about an essential if you don’t buy from a company who guarantees the quality of essential oils. You can be ABSOLUTELY – 100% sure of the quality you are getting with Young Living Essential Oils. When you seriously want to heal your body you cannot afford a look-a-like essential oil. They eventually do more harm than good. The Seed to Seal process is Young Living’s hallmark and makes it the world leader in the “genuine” essential oil industry. Take a short minute to get your facts straight about the quality Young Living offers you. I can assure you won’t be disappointed.
Seed to SealTM describes how intimately committed Young Living is to essential oils. It means knowing how essential oils develop at every step. No one knows Seed to SealTM like Young Living. The Seed to SealTM process gives Young Living its therapeutic designation.
The five key stages in the process are:
SEED, CULTIVATE, DISTILL, TEST AND SEAL.
- Hand-picked seeds -the seeds at Young Living farms come out of the field from the current crops. It doesn’t get more genuine than that. The secret of Seed to SealTM is establishing the quality of seed that goes into the field. It is the foundation upon which the integrity of an essential oil is built upon. “If you don’t know your seed you don’t know your oil” –Gary Young.
There are no hybrids or cloned stock seeds in Young Living seeds. If you put a hybrid or cloned seed next to a natural seed stock plant and a fungus or disease is allowed to attack the plants, the fungus will always attack the cloned or hybrid plant first. This is actually an indicator that the natural plant from the natural seed has all the immune fighting constituents to fight the fungus, mold or bacteria or whatever it is that is attacking. Cloned or hybrid plants are compromised and have weak systems that cannot withstand the attack of the invading species.
What would you choose?
A plant that has all those fighting qualities to withstand invading species and will support the human body as well in fighting those same invading species or would you rather have a cloned plant?
Verification of plant species -Plants have to be the proper botanical genus, species, and chemo type. This is important because there are variations of a species that are easier to grow to get more oil out of them but they don’t have the same chemistry. In the Seed to SealTM process “seed” also means validating species and that starts with authenticating the plant from which the species comes. Young Living visits its out sourced farms around the world to make sure the plants match the species qualifications that Young Living demands in this seed process. When most dietary supplement companies look at a known plant and their ingredient quality, they perhaps rely on a paper trail, vender information, academic literature, or different batch records. Young Living does more than that. Young Living follows the trail and goes to the source and often times goes to universities for collaboration until the job is complete in plant authentication. Controlling every aspect of aromatic plant growth and harvesting is the hallmark of Young Living and a testament to its integrity.
- Field Identification – fields are located away from industrial sites and never downstream or downwind from industrial plants. So fields are always located in remote or high area.
The following is an example of the decision making that goes into establishing a farm. The Lavender farm in Mona, Utah was picked for its location, water and soil. Water at Mona is drinkable and comes from a mountain source that has poured over granite to purify it. These are pristine conditions. The water for this farm is some of the purest water they have seen in Utah. The location is remote and the soil is gravely which is a great condition for lavender. Young Living believes it has a responsibility to the earth to take care of it and that is present at Mona and all farms in Young Living.
- Plant part verification –this is very important because it is a well-known fact in the plant world that plants distilled from certain parts of the plant yield greater therapeutic benefits than other parts of the plant. For example, rose is pressed from the petals. Cinnamon is distilled from the bark and blue spruce is distilled from all parts of the tree. All these have to be verified by Young Living in their out sourced oils.
- Documented country of origin
- Growing type (tamed or wild crafted)
- Responsible weed and pest control – plants grown wild or cultivated organically in the strictest sense of the word “organic.” No chemical fertilizers are added to the soil and crop cultivation is free of herbicides and pesticides. Cultivators and hoes are used to cut the weeds out.
- Co-grower certification – all growers who Young Living buys from are certified that the growing is done to Young Living’s specifications and high standards.
“If there is not the proper type of distillation which requires distilleries of this magnitude and specifications, it is impossible to have quality oils. If a company doesn’t understand essential oil distillation, then they don’t know whether they have a pure, authentic essential oil.”
– Gary Young
At Young Living there is oversight by the master distiller himself-Gary Young. Temperature, pressure and time have everything to do with distillation. If these three critical elements are not in the process then the oil doesn’t produce the constituents necessary for therapeutic healing. For example: high temperatures destroy the therapeutic effects of the oils just as boiling vegetables tool long and at too high temperatures destroys the nutrients in them. Pressure and time are no different. Sometimes it takes more hours to get a complete distillation than other companies are willing to wait for, so the time is cut short and the authentic quality is not there. Distilling becomes a guessing game. There is no compromise at Young Living with the distilling times. There is no guess work at Young Living – just science and factual verification.
- Ideal plant cuttings – Brick points – brick points is a measurement of sugar levels in the plant and must be a certain level before harvesting and distilling. Gary Young is truly a master at the art of distillation. Gary has a sense and “nose” for the plants. He has the ability to take an herb and crush it in his hands and smell to determine if it is ready for distillation. Those who work with Gary are always in awe at this innate ability. Of course the testing validates what his nose tells him. There are few people in the world that understand these finer points of distillation as does Gary Young.
- Innovative, cutting edge distilling techniques – plants are extracted by steam distillation at minimum temperatures and pressures. Young Living currently built a state-of-the-art distillery in Highland Flats, Idaho. There are plans for two more distilleries in Egypt and Somalia in 2014. Young Living will have distilleries on 5 continents. Gary Young is the only person in history to distill on such a worldwide scale. Young Living is constantly raising the bar for distillation so again and again establishes its leadership in the production of genuine essential oils.
No chemical solvents are ever used in the distillation process.
Distillation is done slowly and gently for a proper length of time to capture all of the compounds both light and heavy. Sometimes it takes as much as 24 hours to properly produce an essential oil with all the help needed to see the process through. It is much cheaper to bump up the pressure and finish the job quickly without regard to all constituents in the oil. Young Living never shortens the distilling time for the sake of profit.
- High tech equipment– distillation, condensation, and separation of the oils are performed in vessels of relatively inert materials like good grade stainless steel or glass. Copper for example can contaminate an oil.
At young Living each essential oil must pass extensive testing to ensure an optimal bio-active profile. Young Living uses its own internal labs, and third-party testing from essential oil experts in other countries, to validate the purity and potency of essential oils.
The routine tests done in 5 key areas by the quality control lab are:
1. Identity Testing includes:
- FT-IR – Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR). This characterizes an essential oil by its functional components such as ketones, aldehydes, alcohols, etc.
- Refractive Index: RI measures the bending of light as it passes through the essential oil. It gives an index of refraction for biochemical constituents in the essential oil.
- Specific Gravity: SG is a measurement that indicates how dense a substance is by comparing it to the density of water.
- Optical Rotation: OR measures how much polarized light rotates through an essential oil, which indicates the overall chirality of the oil and helps determine if there is adulteration.
2. Composition Testing
Composition testing is done by GC and compared to a Young Living specification library containing 400,000+ components based on retention time and peak area. Young Living then uses a proprietary retention index database created by Dr. Herve Casabianca at CRNA in France via GC-MS and provides firm identification of individual molecules in each essential oil.
- Gas Chromatography (GC): Using polar and nonpolar columns, a GC is able to separate components of an essential oil by the composition of the functional components of the oil.
3. Purity Testing
Purity is determined by GC, Optical Rotation, ICP-MS, microbiological, and Peroxide Value testing. Using these tests, Young Living ensures that the purity of the essential oil is held to the high standard.
- ICP-MS Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectroscopy (ICP-MS) is used to identify heavy metal contaminants that may occur naturally or be man-made. These include, but are not limited to arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. The ICP-MS is able to detect these heavy metals down to the parts-per-billion (ppb) level.
- Microbiological Testing: Each new oil is tested to ensure that no microbial components are present. Although essential oils are not conducive to microbial growth, Young Living tests for the following: aerobic plant count, coliforms, yeast, mold, and other dangerous pathogens, Staphylococcus aures, E. coli, Salmonella sp., and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Peroxide Value: The determination of peroxides will give an initial evidence of rancidity in oils. This method is the most widely used to determine if primary oxidation has occurred in the oil.
4. Safety Data Sheet Testing
- Flash Point: A test that determines the temperature at which an oil will vaporize and ignite in air.
- Combustibility:A test that determines the flammability of an oil.
- Final Product Testing
Once each raw oil is approved by Quality, it is given to Production where it is bottled. The final product is sent again the Quality Control Lab. Oils are then retested in their final packaging using the same tests done on the raw oil. This is done to verity that no contamination or adulteration has occurred in the production process.
At Young Living the oils are bottled right out of the still, with none of its natural constituents removed and nothing added.
- In house sealing and packaging –the bottles should be brown, amber or blue glass to provide a shield from light. The bottle’s lid and seal should be non-reactive and air tight.
- Young Living uses a clean room for bottling essential oils.